Monday, July 6, 2009

The Best 4th of July......

for Ben. It was good for us too, but Ben scored. We started out our 4th of July by going to the the city parade. I haven't been to many parades to make a comparison, but I would say this one was a little laaame. We were sitting waving our flags when a church group passed by. A guy came up to Ben and said, "Who does this little boy belong to?" Wondering what he wanted I claimed him, and he gave me certificate for a free bike. He told me to come to his church between 12-1 and pick it up. Seriously, why would we just get a free bike, I thought. There had to be some kind of string attached. Like, me possibly having to listen to their discussions, attend a certain number of their church meetings, or something along those lines. I was going to the grocery store around that time so I decided to stop by and see if they really were going to give us a free bike. We got there and there was a crowd outside. Ben was carrying his golden ticket and their crowd cheered for him and wheeled out a new bike. Their pastor said they were just giving back to the community. Well, score!! We thanked them for their generosity and that was it. Ben's new favorite holiday is the 4th of july. He's already riding like a pro.Later that afternoon Teri and Troy and our friends Dillan and Deon came over for some good eats and to light off fireworks. It's funny how the grown boys have more fun doing fire works than the kiddos. After lighting off our own we sat on our roof and watched the city of Rio Rancho and Albuquerque's firework show, which was pretty amazing. I wish I would have taken some pictures of that. I have always loved the 4th and enjoy reflecting on how blessed we are to live in this wonderful country.

.

3 comments:

Jay and Rochelle said...

That is too cool to get a free bike! Hope all is going well with you guys. You're family very well missed!

Mom said...

I just love your updates, Steph. Such a sweet, good family. We love you! Mom

andreamatrix said...

Nice! I usually just get candy.