Saturday, September 13, 2008

And the ditzy mom award goes to.....

Me. So here's the story...I was loading the boys in the car, had both of the buckled in, when I decided to start my car. I have a handy dandy keyless starter which I use everytime I get in the car, but to start the car I have to push the lock button first..don't know why (can you see where this story is going?). Well right after I start the car I throw my keys over the seat so when I get in the car they will be right there. Just as I shut Ben's door I get the pit in the stomach feeling of "OH NO I LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE CAR" but 10 times worse because my kids are in there. My cell phone is in the car and Carl, who has the other set of keys, is at work. I begin to think what to try first, explain to Ben how to unlock the door, call Carl, or call a locksmith. I worked on Ben for a few minutes but after I realized he couldn't hear me with the engine on and he was thinking I was just playing around tapping on his window, I ran to my neighbors house to call Carl. Still not in total panic mode because the car was on with the AC running, I try Carl, and it goes straight to his voicemail where I proceed to leave a panicked voicemail. As a side not, yesterday I had the feeling, which now I realize was a prompting, to memorize Carl's cell phone number. He had his number changed a few months ago and i haven't bothered memorizing it because it was in my cell phone. So I go back to the car and now the boys were crying and my car had turned off. I guess the automatic starter only stays on for a few minutes. So, now I REALLY begin to panic, mainly because it is still 100 + degrees here in AZ and I know how fast the car can heat up. I think about call AAA but my wallet with the AAA card is in the car too. Worst comes to worst, I think, I will have to bust the window open which is looking pretty probable, since I know it will take a locksmith 1/2 hour to get to my house. Well I run to the neighbors to call Carl once more and he answers only 2 minutes away from our house. So all is well, but it gave me a really good scare. It made me very thankful for cell phones and for the promptings that the Lord gives us. I know he loves us and is very aware of everything in our lives. Oh, and thankful I didn't have to bust my window.

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

How scary!!!!!! I'm so glad everything worked out..too crazy that your hubby was only 2 minutes away.

Angie Startin said...

That is SO something I would do! I am glad it had a happy ending :)

Aubrey said...

I did that once before Grace was born. BethAnne was not a happy camper while we waited for Mark to rescue us. I'm so glad everyone there is safe and well. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father watches out for us. Love you guys.

lmsteele said...

I almost did that today, Steph! Although, mine is a wimpy Camery and would have stayed on, but I was at a park! I would have ignored most promptings so I am glad you didn't! Can't wait to see you guys, I hope soon!

Liz G. said...

I'm sure that scared the pants off you! I locked myself outside once with Afton inside sleeping. Luckily, I remembered that Jack had gone outside at like 6 that morning to play, so the back sliding door was open. Interesting how these things work out. . .It took the rest of the day to calm myself down!